Sunday, January 27, 2008

Windows Home Server Transport Service problem

Suddenly I started receiving the following error message from my WHS "Windows Home Server Transport Service encountered a problem" when logging in to the machine and I get the option to Send an error report. This would happen 5-6 times before stopping.

Google didn't find any solutions (Neither did connect - I was also beta tester of WHS) so I thought that I very quickly would summarize it here. Looking in eventvwr revealed several problems but this one quickly got my attention -

Event Source: DCOM
Event ID: 10016
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Description: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E} to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Follow the help link for detailed explanations on how to change DCOM security.

Finding the CLSID in registry revealed it was the "Network Connection Manager Class" but I couldn't find it in DCOMCNFG. I then Googled again and found that it is listed as "netman" and I gave the Network Service Local Activation rights and rebooted. Problem fixed ;-)

It looks like this is also a known SBS 2003 problem and if you didn't know WHS is partly based on SBS 2003 (Which you can see in the Help and Support Center as it states it is running "Microsoft Small Business Server 2003"

1 comment:

Nos Pam said...

I do so wish that had worked for me.

It worked once before but on a different WHS server with exactly the same issue it no longer appears to work

alas...