Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Freeing up space on your SmartPhone 5

It is just a mystery where the space went, isn't it? My phone has 17.95 MB storage but only 1.18 MB available - and I just cleaned it up! Can somebody please explain this to me?

Well, if you use java apps (midlets), you can move them off to the storage card so that storage is saved. Currently, I only use one, Opera Mini. The interface is not that good, but browsing is much faster than PIE.

The procedure for moving the java apps have been ripped of a newsgroup entry I found and is credited to scudo -
  • Close the Java applet
  • Create registry string value pointing to your new location e.g. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tao\JMM\DataPath "\storage card\Application Data\Tao\intent"
  • Move directories and files from \Application Data\Tao\intent to \storage card\Application Data\Tao\intent (use File Explorer with ActiveSync)
  • Reboot mobile

I decided to repeat the procedure here, as it was hard to find.

PS. If someone knows if pim.vol can be moved, deleted or resized I would like to know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Check out this interesting article comparing the iPhone to Windows Media 5, and modern smart phones.

>iPhone - Already an Outdated Technology????