Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Finally Groove file synchronization working on x64 …

I have finally solved the problem of getting Groove file synchronization to work on 64-bit Windows -

image

As you can see I’m running x64-based PC and my groove is syncing 553 MB to my colleagues/other computers.

The only catch is that it’s a workaround rather than a solution ;-) I am “seamlessly” integration a 32-bit Windows 7 installation running in Windows Virtual PC Beta that you can download from here. If you don’t want to bother installing Windows 7 in your guest, then the Virtual XP supplied from Microsoft as VHD installation works as well.

It’s not new that you can solve Groove filesync by running a 32 bit Virtual guest system, the new feature with Windows Virtual PC is that it runs as an virtualized application that have the look and feel of all my other applications and that can be started as an application in my startup folder ;-)

Also until now, even with the rather slow CPU on my Lenovo X301, I haven’t seen any performance hit on the host computer and I have been running all of my usual applications (5-6 PowerPoint's, IE8, Outlook, Office Communicator, MyMobiler etc.) and demoing UC for my students this week (Of course 4 GB of ram helps, but still …).

No comments: